Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Twenty!



My wife and I celebrated 20 years of marraige today. We've known each other half our lives now and are looking forward to more years together.


As a reader of MAKE I was excited by a particular project dreamed up by Mikal Hart called the "Reverse Geocache".

The idea is this: build a box with a latch that is only opened when the box is in a special location as determined by the on-board GPS.

Not being able to leave well enough alone, I made mine with multiple drawers - the first drawer opens easily, but the remaining drawers only open in order at different places around our home town and elsewhere.


The first contained a map and drawing compass, along with a small gift. She's managed to open the next two drawers, but we're nowhere near the final location.


To be continued...

7 comments:

  1. Eric, are you using a sparkfun 'basic' 16x2 display there? If so, did you need a 10K potentiometer for contrast?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, to both questions. The recommended 8x2 was out of stock when I ordered parts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow that's cool! Happy Anniversary!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, what a cool idea. Congratulations on your 20th anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Are there any other quirks with the 16x2 displays? They look to match pin-for-pin and both are Hitachi-compatible running in 4-bit mode. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I found no quirks with the SparkFun Basic 16x2, it "just worked". Here's the order number for the one I used: LCD-00791.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great... now I just hope it arrives in time. My original seeed studio order has apparently been held in customs for 21 days now. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete