Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Parafin Technology


I have a list of photos I want to make, many of them based on someone else's idea. This is a variation on one of those ideas. Hey, we all learn from those before us right? Besides, I'm flattering the originator.

I wish I could remember who the photographer was, as he created wonderfully simple photos that surprised. The one I'm working from here was a wooden matchstick that had burned part way, and been doused, perfectly placed over a knot in an old plank. The knot appeared to be the flame.

I couldn't find a knot in any wood in our house, so I looked at other patterns.


Question: What are those holes?
Answer: They're knot holes. *
Response: Yes they are!


Lance: I used Canon Digital Photo Professional & Photoshop to tweak curves, contrast and convert to monochrome.


Shot with 50mm 1.4 at 1/125, iso 200, f8, with 2 speedlights and shoot-through umbrellas at 1/4 power.

*Try it with 'not' as the spelling.

1 comment:

  1. Very nice - I saw that photog's stuff too. Really cool I went looking for it again a while back and couldn't find it. I think StumbleUpon might get you there in the Photography category though. And I think you did a fine job on this one.

    ReplyDelete